Thursday, November 5, 2009

New mugs

A couple of weeks ago, when it was beautiful after work, I spent a few days turning new style mugs. Made up of 8 segments & a bottom, they are a bit easier to finish in one setting, don't require huge chunks of wood, offer the ability to mix and match woods, but do tequire some initial effort.

The big walnut & maple one (center rear) and the paduk one (center front) are among my favorites right now.

And that initial effort yielded ~15 "blanks" for me to work with when it warms up or I move the lathe to an indoor venue.

I also turned a curly maple handle for my version of a camera monopod. Then I milled & carved a 2 piece walnut base, which I never got around to photographing

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Whole Bed

Today we put together the whole Linnaea bed & threw a matress up there to get the whole picture.

We're going to make a few changes: the upholstered panel looks too low & the top arch looks too thick. And even though Mark may want to kill me over this point, the panel could use maybe a wee bit more padding.

Here are the two footboards next to each other; but it turns out we don't really like the lower one.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Racecar? Fish?

Since everyone in the shop knows I've been working on the Linnaea bed, when they saw me working on this other project

I started getting weird guesses about the type of bed it was. Racecar and fish are the ones I remember. But really, it's a set of kitchen shelves.

v1.1 of the headboard was still a bit off the mark, so I've got to redo most of it. v2.0 should be around later this week

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Uphostery in; Verdict too

Round one with the uphostered headboard. We're making a few changes and trying again.

We'll also working on the footboard, but aren't sure which direction we'll be taking with it.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Hey look, a headboard.

Linnaea Bedroom Set

After the third time the Linnaea nightstands got put on hold, and in between teaching sofa building, I was given a Linnaea headboard to make

Later today I'll get to CNCing it

And sooner or later I'll ne getting back to figuring out the curved door & knife hinges to complete the nightstands

Saturday, September 12, 2009

An update (for Brad)

It's been a while, and there has been some clamor for posts. So, there
may be a few postings coming, but only if you can deal with more
photos and less words

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's that time again

It's that time of the year where I go a little crazy. Huddled up indoors, trying to stay away from the weather and/or the crazies. Last year, I took to beating on things. This year I've been making a bit of jewelry in the evenings, with has some soothing and some frustrating aspects to it.

But a couple of days ago, I made the pre-prototype dining chair legs into a stool to bring home. These were what we thought we were going to use as the dining chair for the Linnaea collection, before I got funneled back to production work, and before our GM got the designing bug and started to work on his own version for the dining chair.

So I called dibs on the leg assemblies, and make a little stool out of them.

Mostly I wanted to freehand sculpt and carve the shape out, and get a chance to beat on some more furniture.

A little rough sketching, and then I started work with the draw knife. I spent about 30 min the other day on it, and it has already morphed away from the drawings.

Now if only I can get the weather to cooperate and warm up another 10 degrees, I'd feel a bit better spending time on it on the back porch.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

A lack of posts

Yeah, yeah. I've been lax of late. Not from lack of exciting things going on, but because of all the exciting things going on.

So, the new product development got put on hold. Mostly so I can go build the strange and custom things that our customers are actually paying for at the moment. These have been odd hall tables, kitchen islands, and whole room's worth of bookcases.

I did get a chance to build two Linnaea dining tables; one that a customer bought based on the drawings, and the second one to go off and be displayed at one of the showrooms.

Now I'm off and running on a kitchen built-in, bathroom vanities, and a stereo cabinet for another of our customers.

Soon, I'm told, they will re-direct my energies back toward the development of new products, and re-design of old products.

Mostly I popped in to write about the "launch" of my Etsy store. I've finally managed to finish three of my goblets, and had the good fortune to be directed towards Etsy. I've got some other things planned to go up on my store, little boxes and such, but I'm still working on finishing them.

So be patient, and check Etsy often for my new work

Friday, October 3, 2008

More Linnaea

The Linnaea chest and dresser are now finished. Thanks to Brian for doing a fair amount of grunt work fitting the drawers. So here they are with finish on them and handles. And a view of the drawers!