Thursday, November 5, 2009

New mugs

A couple of weeks ago, when it was beautiful after work, I spent a few days turning new style mugs. Made up of 8 segments & a bottom, they are a bit easier to finish in one setting, don't require huge chunks of wood, offer the ability to mix and match woods, but do tequire some initial effort.



The big walnut & maple one (center rear) and the paduk one (center front) are among my favorites right now.

And that initial effort yielded ~15 "blanks" for me to work with when it warms up or I move the lathe to an indoor venue.




I also turned a curly maple handle for my version of a camera monopod. Then I milled & carved a 2 piece walnut base, which I never got around to photographing

No comments: